There was a bit of a shake-up in the rankings this week as San Diego State was clobbered at home by Boise State, a team that looked like it may be headed for a losing season. With the SDSU loss, that opens a big-time opportunity for teams in the American Athletic Conference as South Florida and Central Florida both remain undefeated.
Here is this week’s rankings:
- UCF (5-0) — Sure they are ranked lower than USF, but schedule thus far is slightly better. Golden Knights take on Navy this weekend.
- USF (6-0) — A road trip to Tulane doesn’t seem like much of a challenge.
- Boise State (4-2) — A tough schedule so far (ranked No. 54) and a win over No. 19 San Diego State was huge.
- San Diego State (6-1) — There is still a lot to play for this year for the Aztecs as they may have the last laugh in the Mountain West title game against Boise.
- Memphis (5-1) — The Tigers are legit, or are they. We’ll find out Thursday night against Houston.
- Toledo (5-1) — The Rockets are flying under the radar for now.
- Navy (5-1) — The AAC is deep, but that may be a problem for many of these teams.
- Colorado State (5-2) — The Rams nearly lost at home to a not-so-good Nevada team. Their defense may be the downfall.
- Houston (4-2) — Thursday night against Memphis will be a big one for the Cougars as well.
- Western Michigan (4-3) — The Broncos will play cross-state rival Eastern Michigan this weekend. The winner will be the third best team in the state.
- SMU (4-2) — A win this weekend at Cincinnati gets them closer to a bowl game.